Poblano Kale Coleslaw with Cilantro Lime Dressing
A great healthy side dish with a surprise kick that the entire family can enjoy!
I have been trying to fit more kale into our diet in ingenious ways. The flavor of kale is so unassuming that you can slip it in so many things without it really changing the taste of the entire dish. We are coleslaw fans and I make it many different ways. Sometimes with a creamy dressing and sometimes not.
This recipe was one of my attempts to add the kale and enjoy some of our favorite flavors to boot. We love cilantro. Lime seems to compliment it. Poblano gives it a pop of flavor with no added heat that kids would turn their nose up at.
Now I have to admit my photos of this did not come out and it was the staging and not the coleslaw. But that is okay, it is all in my learning curve. I will not deprive you of this delicious dish just because I am unimaginative in food photography staging.
I should really have put the head of kale in the photo too, maybe had the coleslaw displayed as a side to some other dish rather than just in the clear bowl etc.
No matter, it still tastes great and next recipe I share I will show you how to use this with it.
On with the recipe…
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded kale
- ½ cup sliced Poblano pepper (also known as Pasilla)
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Toss green cabbage, red cabbage, kale, and pepper together in large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients in a separate small dish until combined well and toss with cabbage mixture until well coated. You can serve immediately or refrigerate for a few days.
I have been enjoying finding ways to use kale, last week I even put it in our black beans with smoked sausage. It was great. How do you use kale?
I wonder if I could slip it into some of my scone recipes……that would be interesting.